– INEC has expressed its readiness for the conduct of Edo governorship election
– The election is holding in the state on Saturday, September 19
– Mahmood Yakubu, the INEC national chairman, said all hands are on deck for the conduct of the poll
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The national chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, has said that the commission was fully prepared and ready for the conduct of the September 19, Edo governorship election.
The Nation reports that Yakubu made this known said on Thursday, August 27, during a meeting with the Inter Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES), in Benin.
Legit.ng gathered that he said that the commission had successfully carried 10 out of the 14 activities on schedule for the election.
Yakubu said: “The whole purpose of this visit is to see firsthand the level of preparation. Yes, we received reports at the headquarters but we feel that it is important to come to Benin and see for ourselves what is on the ground.
“On February 6, 2020, the commission released a timetable and schedule of activities for Edo and Ondo governorship elections. We gave seven and eight months notices for the Edo and Ondo elections respectively.
“And we itemised 14 activities in the timetable and schedule of activities to be carried out on specific dates beginning with the publication of the notice of election and ending with election day proper.
“I am happy to say that so far we have carried 10 out of the 14 activities on schedule. Not one activity was rescheduled for a minute. The last one was the presentation of the voter’s registers to the 14 political parties fielding candidates for the election.”
He said the four outstanding activities were the publication of the notice of poll which would be done on Tuesday, September 1, followed by the submission of polling agents by the political parties on the same day.
“End of the campaign which is by law 24 hours to the campaign; so, the campaign will stop by midnight of Thursday before the Saturday of election and then the election day itself. So, in terms of readiness, we are fully ready for this election,’’ he added.
The INEC chairman noted that the Edo election would be the first major election the commission would be conducting amid COVID-19 pandemic.
He added that the commission had come out with a policy on how to conduct the election in a pandemic.
“We test run the policy in small bye-election in Nasarawa state and we are ready with the big one in Edo,’’ he said.
Yakubu said the commission was committed to ensuring a safe environment for the peaceful conduct of the election hence the meeting with ICCES, stakeholders, and electoral officials in Edo, adding that the commission would make the system open and transparent.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the deputy governor of Edo state, Philip Shaibu, engaged in verbal war over gunshots fired during a rally at Jattu in Edo North senatorial district.
It was reported that Ize-Iyamu who spoke through the chairman of Edo APC media campaign council, Prince John Mayaki, accused Shaibu of mobilising the thugs behind the violence.
The APC governorship candidate alleged that the thugs occupied venue of the party’s rally in Jattu, scaring residents and other supporters of APC with gunshots.
We’ll isolate Wike in an isolation center – Ganduje | – on Legit TV