in ,

Court grants permission for investigations


– The invasion of the Edo state House of Assembly is now facing judicial scrutiny

– An order compelling the Nigeria Police Force to investigate the invasion has been granted by a court

– A total of 18 individuals have been fingered as complicit in the incident

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News Feed!

The Edo state High Court sitting in Benin has granted an order for the Edo state government to apply for an Order of Mandamus compelling the Nigeria Police Force to investigate 18 individuals for their alleged complicity in the recent invasion of the Edo state House of Assembly.

The individuals include the 14 lawmakers whose seats have been declared vacant, the retired deputy clerk of Edo state House of Assembly, who purportedly presided over their inauguration and others.

Hon. Justice Efe Ikponmwonba, a vacation judge, gave the ruling on Wednesday, August 26 in suit no: B/141M/20 between complainant/applicant, which includes Attorney General of Edo state, Prof. Yinka Omorogbe, with G. E. Adekambi, M. O. Airende, Orobosa Okunbor, I. O. Kadiri and Adaze Emwanta against the Edo state commissioner of police.

Coronavirus: Engaging activities you can do to avoid boredom following the stay at home order
Edo Assembly invasion: Court grants permission to begin proceedings

File photo of the Edo state House of Assembly. Photo credit: @EdoStateGovt
Source: UGC

The judge ruled that “application is granted as prayed. Leave is hereby granted the Applicant to apply for an Order of Mandamus compelling the Respondent to investigate the 18 individuals listed on the face of the application for offences alleged to have been committed.”

The criminal charges brought against them include moves “to commit felony (contrary to Section 516), impersonation (contrary to Section 484), unlawful assembly, (contrary to Section 69) and treasonable felony (contrary to Section 41) of the Criminal Code Cap. 48, Vol II, Laws of the defunct Bendel state, as applicable in Edo state.”

The case was adjourned for hearing on Tuesday, September 1.

Meanwhile, Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo, says the September 19 governorship election in the state, will put a final end to godfatherism.

Obaseki made the comment during his ward to ward campaign tour across Esan north-east local government area.

Xenophobia: Nigerians are worse than South Africans – Comedian Hyenana reacts to ongoing protest in Nigeria

He said the election is very vital, not just for the state, but the country, as the decision had to be made whether or not the state should move forward.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Legit.ng had earlier reported that a former minister of foreign affairs and ex-APC chieftain, Chief Tom Ikimi, has declared his support for Governor Obaseki.

Ikimi, one of the founding fathers of the All Progressives Congress, declared his support for the governor when the PDP held a campaign in his domain – Igueben local government area on Wednesday, August 19.

Ikimi, 76, urged his people to reelect Governor Obaseki and Comrade Philip Shaiubu in the September 19 gubernatorial election to enable them to consolidate on their achievements in the first term.

Like Obaseki, Like Ambode: 3 Governors who fell out with their political godfather | Legit TV

N10 billion fraud allegation: IGP orders probe of Udom’s appointee





Source link

What do you think?

Written by admin

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0

Ize-Iyamu, dep gov trade blames over gunshots at APC rally

Jonathan briefs Buhari after meeting with military junta